bookbrats

Book Brats

We're a blog. Find us at http://bookbrats.com

Sputnik Sweetheart
Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel
The Orphan Master's Son
Taken

Sad Desk Salad: A Novel

Sad Desk Salad - Jessica Grose I’m not quite sure how I came across SAD DESK SALAD, but I believe it involved shopping on Amazon many months ago while half asleep, mindlessly clicking and inevitably buying something I didn’t mean to. In my haze, I forgot to return it, and in the end found SAD DESK SALAD by Jessica Grose sitting on my Kindle as I browsed through. After finishing HOW SHOULD A PERSON BE? by Sheila Heti, honestly the written equivalent of the show Girls (by the way, Lena Dunham is not the voice of my generation, so critics can stuff it), I was looking for something in the same category – twentysomethings dealing with issues beyond which bad boy to make out with and brood over.SAD DESK SALAD can be described as Girls meets the internet gossip community Oh No They Didn’t. It’s about a Brooklyn hipster who writes for a juicy gossip blog who uncovers via email the link to a Sarah Palin-type’s daughter doing coke and getting naked on camera. Our hipster protagonist decides to post the clip, and all hell breaks loose in the form of her boyfriend getting worried, the pressure of sudden fame, the pressure of sudden hatred, and more.OKAY, FINE, IT’S THE NOVELIZATION OF JEZEBELAuthor Grose is a former staff writer for Jezebel, the women-centric gossip blog that gets its fair share of love and hate. Chick Habit in SAD DESK SALAD is basically Jezebel except much snarkier, unless Jezebel has suddenly morphed into a website known more for its bitchery than its content. I have to admit it – although she was a complete mess of a person, a woman who needed a stern talking to by her mother and not just an excuse for her to think about her actions, I actually liked our heroine Alex. The people in her life, from her boss to her boyfriend to her friends? Not so much. Beyond our heroine and her issues, the rest of the characters are completely two dimensional and But I’ll just admit it. This book is a train wreck, but you know train wrecks. You see the train spinning out of control, bursting into flames, hurtling bits of metal and steel everywhere, but you can’t look away from the crash. Would I suggest this book? Maybe, if you’re looking for super light. But otherwise, there isn’t a lot to say. It’s ultimately a forgettable, yet temporarily amusing, escape. That’s about it.VERDICT: Yes, it’s not the most well-written book in the world – far from it, actually. But SAD DESK SALAD’s exploits and fun and enticing, keeping you reading to find out what ridiculous thing happens next.